Saturday, June 23, 2018

Keep Yourself Alive

    Every year, usually in the early Spring, I always hear, or read, about someone going out in a kayak and flipping it, only to wind up dead because they couldn't back on, or in, their kayak. Here are some examples from the last few years:







    This is especially true here in Connecticut where we have fatalities every year involving kayaks. Some are by careless people who take huge risks by overestimating their own capabilities. Worst of all, some didn't bother to wear a life vest, and some had a life vest with them but chose not to wear it!
    It almost begs the question, when will we have more stringent rules regarding kayak & paddle craft safety measures put into place? Or better yet, when are people going to care? Here in Connecticut: "It is a state law to wear a life jacket while on a paddle craft from October 1 through May 31."
    This is should be mandatory all year long! I've actually heard a few Park Rangers tell me, "That you do not need a life vest/jacket from Memorial Day thru Labor Day." I respond by saying, "Are you people insane??? Those are the busy times of the year for boaters and/or fishermen!!!! These big boat guys don't care about our kayaks in the water!" The Park Rangers then tell me, "It's an option, sir." 
    Let's be serious here, why would ANYBODY tell someone that??? Especially when the Marine Patrol agents are busy with their safety checks asking to see if you have enough life jackets for everyone aboard your vessel. Or, as with the Coast Guard, checking to see if you're wearing your life vest. Why should it be just one agency, the US Coast Guard, that maintains that this should be mandatory all the time? The Marine Patrol should be doing the same as well - for the entire year!
    
    Whenever I go out, whether it's just a casual paddle, or if I'm fully rigged up and ready to go, I'm always ready for safety - life vest is on, marine radio is fully charged, safety mast with flag is up, and the rescue rope is tethered on my left side. Because you never know when you're going to flip over. I rolled a few years ago. It's one of those things where you're thinking, "....Oh, that'll never happen to me...." Guess what? Mother Nature was being cranky that day. Between the windy conditions (25 mph gusts), the big swells (3-4 ft rollers), and operator errors, I found myself in a situation that I couldn't avoid getting out of. I thought I could save myself from getting rolled, but it didn't work out the way I wanted it to, and over I went.
    I thought to myself, I'll just call for help using my marine radio, which is waterproof, but then I realized that I was the ONLY one in our group that was smart enough to actually have one and use it. What a waste! Four of us launched and I was the only person that carried a radio that day. I have a whistle attached to the zipper on my life vest, but would anybody even hear me?

    Here are just some of the ways to keep yourself alive out on the water:

1.) Tell someone where you're going.
    It never hurts to tell someone where you're going. You can always call if you're going to be late. If no one hears from you, after a day or two, then they can call the authorities.

2.) Place your cell phone in a waterproof bag.
    If you don't want your cell phone to turn into a pocket heater, then get yourself a good waterproof bag. Be sure to put it in "Airplane" mode to help conserve power. Just remember to turn off the "Airplane" mode when you need to use it.

3.) Buy a quality waterproof marine radio.
    While there are lots of radios on the market that have long range capabilities, you will need to invest in a quality, waterproof, marine radio. I carry a Standard Horizon HX-130 Marine Radio. It also has 10 Weather (WX) Channels and can transmit in either 1/3/or 5 watts.

4.) WEAR YOUR LIFE VEST!
    This one item alone should be a "no brainer". Wearing it could, or will, save your life - hence the term, a "vest" that saves your "life"! Depending on your kayak's seat, you will need to find a life vest that doesn't interfere with your seat's height. Make sure that the life vest's flotation area, on the back of your shoulders, is above the top of your seat. I realize that there will some days where the temperature outside will be unbearable. Don't take chances! If it's a nice day out, the boat traffic will be busy. Most boaters will be respectful, and steer clear of you. While other boaters may be careless and harassing at times.

5.) Use a Safety Mast with Orange Flag.
    On another blog post from a few years ago, I wrote about how you can make your safety mast with an orange flag. And, for those of you that fish at night, or in the early morning fog, you can add a white light to the top as well. Paddling in saltwater can be iffy at times. The constant tidal currents, swells created by other motor boaters, and the wind/weather can factor in many difficulties that one must deal with while out and about on the water. With an orange flag mounted behind your seat, you're increasing your chances of NOT being struck by another motor boater. Wearing bright colored clothing is a huge plus as well.

6.) Have a "Rescue Rope" with you.
    While most of us aren't expecting to experience a kayak flipping over, you need to plan on how you intend on righting your kayak, should this ever happen in the future. I have what's called a "Rescue Rope" attached to the left handle of my kayak. It's made from 550 Paracord that's been doubled up to 1100 lb strength with XL carabiners at each end. This will allow me to flip my kayak right-side up in a matter of seconds - instead of several minutes, or worse, not at all. While the kayak is upside down, I simply unclip one of the carabiners and toss it over the hull of the kayak. I then float over to the side that has the rope hanging, and proceed to climb on top of the kayak. By grasping the rope tightly, I throw myself backward into the water again, this will force the kayak to re-right itself in a hurry. If you're in a group, you can radio for help, and maybe some members of your group can assist in helping you get back into your kayak. Or, you can re-enter the kayak the old fashioned way by using this method here:


The video above was done by my good friend Walt Lariscy - a pioneer in the sport of kayak fishing and safety. 

* NOTE: I watched his video at least 20 times. Watch it. Learn it. Remember it.
Trust me, this video will SAVE YOUR LIFE SOMEDAY! I reached out to Walt on YouTube after my rollover, and thanked him for this video. It works!

    These are a few of the things every kayaker, or kayak angler, should carry with them at all times while out on any body of water.

As usual, keep those lines wet & tight! - J

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this blog related to kayak fishing. I really impress by this blog.

    ReplyDelete