Sunday, December 23, 2012

Adding a Dual Red/Green Bow Light to your Kayak

   This is Part 2 of the "Adding a White Light to your Kayak" project. The kit mentioned in the previous project came with both a White LED Light (back/stern), and a Red/Green LED Light (front/bow). I made an adapter that mounts to my RAM mount under my Fishfinder. Since the dual color light came with the kit, I figured why not use it? I'd be happier knowing that I look like a small boat, rather than looking like a target out on the water.

   This kit by Attwood Marine, can be purchased at Wal-mart for $30, and intended to be used on smaller boats that didn't come equipped with navigational night lamps. 








* * * NOTE: Each state is different concerning lights on a small vessel, which is mandated by the US Coast Guard. For most of us, a single white light will do. Your decision to use this light is solely up to you. And, for those of you who will leave negative comments about this project, look at the packaging again, and take notice of the small jon boat (8-10 ft in length) pictured, noting that the angler is anchored with both the white light at the back and the dual red/green light up front. He sits no higher, or lower, than we do in our kayaks. Using the dual Red/Green lamp DOES NOT mean one has to be moving! * * *




    Parts List:
   ( 1 ) Attwood Portable Navigation LED Light Kit - $30
           Attwood Marine's Portable Navigation LED Light Kit

   ( 1 ) Piece of Aluminum Plate 1/8" thick x 6" length x 4" wide

   ( - ) Misc. Marine Grade Fasteners - (i.e. bolts, washers, nuts)


Here's how I did it:

1.) I used a piece of scrap diamond plate aluminum for this project.

You may want to use a piece of plate that is flat on both sides. Check with your local town garage for some scrap road signs that have been run over or mangled.





 2.) I used my RAM mount piece to trace out a rough design to incorporate the size of the piece that I need to use.

I marked out where I need to drill my holes.




 3.) Though it's not shown, I used a C-clamp to hold my RAM mount base in place so I could drill my mounting holes straight and keep them aligned perfectly.




 4.) With all the holes pre-drilled, I clamped down the plate so I can cut out the piece.




 5.) I used a Saw-Zall with a fine tooth metal cutting blade. Carefully, cut the out the design piece while keeping the saw's blade straight.




 6.) * Not shown: I used a Die Grinder to cut off the remaining piece behind the plastic fish finder mount.

I then used a 3M grinding wheel to remove the burrs from drilling the holes, the sharp edges from cutting out the plate, and rounded off the corners and edges.

I then mounted the parts in place.




 7a.) Shown from the left, with the unit on.


  7b.) Shown from right, with the unit on.






 8.) Shown mounted on my kayak, from the right, with the unit on. (yes, the kayak is upside down)


   Just a final note:  When this piece is mounted in place, you won't be able to open the forward hatch. But when you're sitting on the water in total darkness, you won't really have a reason to go up there anyway. I usually leave the RAM mount slightly loose, so I can turn the whole unit sideways, if I have to fetch something in the forward hatch, if I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment