Sunday, April 15, 2018

The Kayak Angler's Checklist

    We've all been there before. You're either getting ready to go to your favorite fishing hole, or meet up with some friends, and you've forgotten to pack something. While most of us have everything we need for a regular outing, at some point you will forget something that will be a key component that may leave you at the dock or shore preventing you from having a good day on the water.
    After the first couple of outings, I gradually forgot one, or more items at home that really embarrassed me in front of others. So, on a particularly slow day at work, I began to list everything that I would take for a "normal" day of fishing.
    I'm using the word "normal" lightly here because some of the items on my checklist may be used for freshwater locations, as well as some saltwater locations too. I also began to break the items down into separate categories. I will explain why I listed some of the items on the list that may be questionable to some. Below is a photo of a document that I use as a guide in the Spring to help myself remember what I need for the season ahead.



Photo Credit: Jeff Hall

    Let's start at the top section and work our way down. "Kayak Gear" means the essential items that your kayak needs to perform right.

    First item is "Paddle", if you have a kayak that has a "Pedal Drive" system, it will count as the same item. 
    Secondly, don't forget your "Seat"
    And thirdly, your "Kayak Cart/Wheels" (plug-in style, strap[s] attachment, or folding style), just in case you have to park far away from your launch point. 

    Middle section includes some "Safety Items". Though it's not marked in the photo, I will put a star on the "must have" items that will help you avoid getting a fine by the Game Wardens in your region.

    These items marked with a star are a must have: 
    
    PFD/Life Vest*, First Aid Kit*, Marine VHF Radio*, and Safety Mast w/Orange Flag & Light*.

    The "PFD/Life Vest" will save your life. Don't take chances with this one item. It will be the final difference between coming home to your family, or your family getting bad news by your local police. 
    The "First Aid Kit" may not get used that often, but here in Connecticut and Rhode Island, it's a must have item.
    A good quality "Marine VHF Radio" that floats is a big must have. Most good quality radios will have weather channels. These are good if the weather should turn ugly in a hurry. Mine, a Standard Horizon HX130, came with a small cord attached to the radio's clip. I removed the clip on the back of the radio and attached the cord to my life vest's mini D-ring inside the left front pocket. If I roll, the radio won't be lost floating in the surf.
    A "Safety Mast w/Orange Flag & Light" is a great addition to anyone's kayak. In saltwater, the orange flag mounted high on a mast, will help you be more visible during tidal swells. In saltwater, as well as freshwater, it will also alert other boaters to stay clear of you while you fish. The white light should be mounted at the top of the mast, preferably above your head, so as to be seen 360 degrees in any direction. The light needs to be bright enough to be seen in heavy fog, as well as, the dark of night. US Coast Guard says the light MUST be White (non-flashing) and be visible up to two miles away. I also covered the top 8 inches in red & white reflective tape. Not all parking areas have street lamps at them.

    These other items are optional: Bug Spray, Sunscreen, and Rescue Rope.

    If you've ever rolled your kayak (I did in 2015), you know how difficult it is to right your kayak, let alone get back on your kayak without any help! The "Rescue Rope" is a true kayak angler's best friend. It will aid you in getting your kayak flipped back over in no time with very little effort. It can also be used to tow another kayak angler back to shore. No place to hold your monster catch? No problem! Keep one end clipped to your handle, un-clip one end and feed the other end through the fish's gill, then clip the other end to the rope (like a over-sized fish stringer), and drag the fish back to shore.

    For re-entering a SOT (sit-on-top) kayak after you've rolled, be sure to click this link by Walt Lariscy on "How to Re-Enter a SOT Kayak":


    And finally, the Last section - the miscellaneous "Materials". Most of these are optional. What you carry while out on the water will be up to you. There are some items on this list that even I don't carry. You can put these items in whatever order you choose:

    GPS/Sonar, Towel, Knife, Power Cable (for your sonar/fish finder), Tape/Ruler, Gear Basket, Rain Suit, Food & Water, Anchor, Fish Net, 12 volt Battery (fully charged), Sponge/Water Pump, Machete/Brush Axe, Dry Bags (different sizes), Digital Camera (waterproof), Fishing Poles w/Leashes, Lip Grippers/Long Pliers, Safety Whistle, and Bait.

    Some of the things that I carry: PFD/Life Vest w/Safety Whistle (attached to the zipper), Dry bags for my cellphone and digital camera (both the cellphone and digital camera are not waterproof), Ruler (aka Hawg Trough) which has an old landline phone cord "leash" because it doesn't float, Food (nut bars) and watered down Powerade, Lip Grippers (landline phone cord "leashed" to a homemade holster that's attached to my Gear Crate, I have different 12 volt power sources - one for my Hook 5 Fish Finder/GPS and the other to power a small light in my foot well (both are in separate dry bags in my center hatch), Small Dive Knife with Sheath on a lanyard, Towel is in forward hatch, Two 9 ft salt poles (graphite/medium action), and two freshwater rods (graphite/medium action) with Hobie rod leashes, and my "Bait" is bought at *Wal-Mart in the frozen food section - Small/Medium Uncooked Prawns [shrimp]. *Note: Most Wal-Mart stores are open 24 hours a day now.    

    The above photo was originally written as a document and couldn't be uploaded, or downloaded. So, I took a picture and tried my best to clean up the image. But if you want, you may use this as a guide for making your own check list. Take a picture with your cellphone and follow along while making your own checklist document.

    As usual, keep those lines wet & tight!  - J


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your checklist with us! You've definitely mentioned all the must-haves in it. Great job! Looks like you are a real expert in this field, am I right? I kindly ask you to study this article and advise me which model would you choose for yourself. Have you seen any of them in action?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, I apologize for getting back to you so late. I personally own a 2009 Hobie Outback (12 ft) pedal kayak and love it. I currently have mine setup for saltwater fishing - anchor trolley system, Lowrance Hook-5 Color DSI/GPS, beach wheels & cart, etc. It comes in at 68 lbs. The newer Outbacks are longer, flatter, and considerably heavier (98 lbs).

    I also have a 2013 Feelfree Moken 14 (14 ft 8 in) offshore paddle kayak, but at some point in the future, it will be motorized for the big water. I bought it cheap at $500 because the hull was badly cracked when it was shipped from Thailand. I plastic welded all the cracks shut. Then I wrote a blog about it, but I used white repair sticks, which made it look like I used Elmer's Glue to seal the cracks. Since then, I went back to the kayak shop and got 3 orange repair sticks and repaired it to the point where the cracks are nearly invisible now. It paddles nice and smooth in a straight line, but there's no rudder. Without the rudder, the wind blows it everywhere. In my opinion, I felt it to be very unstable if you shifted in your seat. I will make my own outrigger pontoons for it using my friend John Sims' idea. That too, will be a future blog as well.

    As for the model choice, I've never heard of a BKC kayak. Some of the Native Slayers are pedal powered, while others are paddle only (some of which paddle like a couch through the water (very, very slow). The Hobie Pro Angler kayaks are nice but a little on the heavy side without any gear. The are not the kind you want to put on your car's roof rack. Also, if you don't have a cart with beach wheels, you better be in good shape for lugging that 130 lb kayak across the grass/deep sand. Pelican Kayak now uses an older version of Hobie's patented pedal system. While it's nice, the pedals do not fully extend with each pedal stroke in a full 180 degrees like the Hobie pedals do.

    All in all, some kayak shops are usually located near, or on a body of water, and you may be able to "rent them" for a day to "try it before you buy it". This is one of THE best ways to try out that kayak you've always dreamed of before committing to that purchase! - J

    ReplyDelete