Sunday, February 11, 2018

2018 New England Saltwater Fishing Show

    After a small hiatus, it's THAT time of year again to promote the northeast's BIGGEST saltwater show, and also the first blog of the year!
    It's the 15th annual "New England Saltwater Fishing Show" held at Providence Convention Center in Providence,RI. March 9 - 11, 2018. 300 exhibitors! 100,000 sq. ft. of saltwater fishing - the LARGEST saltwater fishing show in the Northeast!
    Non-stop FREE SEMINARS in FOUR Seminar Areas! 60 Seminars & Demos in 3 days by the top anglers in the region!
    Friday is VETERAN'S DAY - 1st 300 military & veterans free w/ ID
    Sunday is FAMILY DAY - All women & kids FREE!
    Admission is $10 for Adults (12- under free).

    Show Hours: Friday: 1pm-8pm
                          Saturday: 9am-7pm
                          Sunday: 10am-5pm





Photo Credits: Jeff Hall

    For the past 15 years, my saltwater fishing club the "Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Association" has been putting on the show. I joined RISAA in 2011 with the hopes of meeting some new people to fish. I have never been to a show this big before. Connecticut and Massachusetts didn't have anything nearly as big as this show. Lots of vendors and even more free seminars at 4 different areas of the convention center.
    At the show, I picked up their special "newsletter" which was more like a magazine. After reading through a few pages, I spotted a section dedicated to just kayak fishing called, "Kayak Committee" and all the dates they had lined up for that year on where they would meet up for a day (or, night) of fishing. I met up with some of the members at Goddard Memorial Park for their annual "Meet & Greet" (which happens every year in June) to see how others set up their kayaks. I also joined the committee that day as well and became a member of the club.
    The following years in 2012, 2013, and 2014, I volunteered to do the show in the kayak booth for all 3 days - years 2013 & 2014, I showed off my kayak in the booth to the patrons at what a rigged kayak looks like for saltwater use. In 2015, the RISAA president asked me if I'd be willing to do a few seminars for the show on "Rigging a Kayak for Saltwater Fishing". In 2016, I added "reminder cards" for my blog site on the table in the booth so I wouldn't have to write out the blog address. 2016 was also the year my friend and Kayak Committee member Mona Rodriguez suggested we add a safety aspect to the seminars. Kayak Fishing in the northeast is on the rise, and so are the accidents/deaths that go along with it. Mona also got the US Coast Guard involved in the safety portion of the show by providing safety brochures, whistles, rules & regulations on boating booklets, as well as a speaker from the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
    Mona will also be speaking on a few seminars about "Fishing With A Disability". One will be on Friday (TBA), and another will be on Saturday (TBA). The times aren't listed as of yet because she also helps me out in my seminar time slot which lasts about 1 hour. There are a few openings left, so the show's promoter is still figuring out the time slots.

    Fast forward to the present 2018, this year my seminar schedules have been increased to 2 shows on Friday, 3 shows on Saturday, and 2 shows on Sunday.
    I can found here under the "Seminar Speakers" page (from last year's show schedule in 2017). I began to include a safety aspect to my seminar having accidentally rolled in the surf off Rocky Point in Warwick in 2015. With no one around to assist me, I righted my kayak with the help of Mona's homemade "Kayak Self Rescue Rope", in high winds and rough seas, and got back inside in under 5 minutes! The best part to this whole ordeal? I never practiced this technique before - EVER!
  

RISAA Kayak Committee members from left to right:
 David Grady, Jeff Hall, and Walter Kay

Photo Credit: Mona Rodriguez  

    I've hinted about giving a special safety seminar that would be about "Kayak Self Rescue" - the art of righting your kayak and re-entry techniques.       

    *Note: Unfortunately, this won't be a seminar topic at the show, as we do not have a swimming area large enough to accommodate the kayak and its "gear" - dummy poles & crate with weights to simulate a loaded kayak. This will have to be an outdoor venue only.

    Anyway, here are some other photos from shows I've done in the past.


Photo Credit: Mona Rodriguez


Photo Credit: Jeff Hall

With Captain Sandro Maniaci (top photo) of the fishing vessel F/V Tuna.com from National Geographic's hit TV show "Wicked Tuna". Sandro, along Captain Dave Carraro (bottom photo with Mona Rodriguez), were guest speakers at the shows from the past 3 years.
 





Photo Credits: Unknown 
(another patron snapped a few pics from one of my seminars and sent me the photos)

My kayak's setup as seen at the Casting Lane area for the seminar. 


Photo Credit: Mona Rodriguez

Above, Jeff Hall & Bob Oberg from the 2016 Saltwater Fishing Show.


Photo Credit: Jeff Hall

Above, Dave Guilliano at the 2016 Salt Show manning the kayak booth.


Photo Credit: Jeff Hall

Above, Bass Yaks impressive display of motorized kayaks. The lime green kayak on the left is non-motorized. A vendor of the show that sells kayaks with, or without trolling motors, as well as lightly used kayaks.

So, if you're fan of saltwater fishing whether it be from boat, shore, or kayak, then you have get out and come to the show! See you there!

As usual, keep those lines wet & tight! - J

No comments:

Post a Comment