Friday, October 6, 2017

Storing your Gear for Traveling

    When it comes to your kayak gear, there's an old saying that goes like this, "Everything has its place". While that maybe true, there's always that one time that you forgot something - and it was something that you can't do without (your seat, your fish ruler, emergency knife, spare lures, life vest, etc.). It doesn't matter if your carry your kayak on your car's rooftop, or carry it in the back of your truck's bed, you need a way to transport your gear for every trip - all in one shot.

    Now, you could make a checklist and then systematically place every item in your car's backseat, or in the back seating area of your truck. But, if you have to stop quick, you're the one that's going to be on the receiving end of all that gear you packed, where in your car, it would probably end up on the floor and underneath your front seats. Or, for those of you that have a crew cab truck, you could end up being assaulted by your own gear.


Photo #1 Credit: Jeff Hall

    One way to avoid all that mess is to get a gear trunk (photo #2). Most sporting goods stores carry them (Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.) Large enough to carry everything you need for your trip on the water. One end has wheels to make it easier to transport your gear to your vehicle (photos #2 & #3).


Photo #2 Credit: Jeff Hall


Photo #3 Credit: Jeff Hall

So, with that said, let's take a look at some of the stuff I have packed in my gear trunk - which is pictured above. This is all the stuff, which I like to call "necessary items", meaning that this is all the important items that I need to have a good day out on the water (photo #4).


Photo #4 Credit: Jeff Hall

In the photo above, you can tell that my kayak is a Hobie (Outback) judging by the pedal drive in the center, but I have other items here as well. Here's my rundown of the important stuff: Pedal drive, cold weather gloves (black), life vest, emergency knife, seat, rain suit, 12 volt Battery in a red dry bag, summer gloves (light green), outback hat, fish finder/GPS, Bow Light & Stern Light (both lamps are in a orange dry bag), VHF Marine Radio, Pole extender tubes (2) w/ rod leashes, spare lures, Hawg Trough (fish ruler), foot well plug, dry bag for my cellphone, and homemade Rescue Rope (orange paracord).

As you can see in photo #5 below, everything has its place, once its in the trunk.


Photo #5 Credit: Jeff Hall

    The best part is that it all fits behind me on the bench seat of my Dodge Ram 1500 with the Quad Cab right next to my gear crate. And, I can still see out the window behind me (photo #6).


Photo #6 Credit: Jeff Hall

    Everything that didn't fit in the gear trunk, like fishing poles, safety mast with flag, and paddle(s) are all stored under the bench seat. It's a little tight, but there's nothing interfering with my ability to see, nor will it "attack" me if I should have to stop quick to avoid an accident.


As usual, keep those lines wet & tight! - J








No comments:

Post a Comment