Friday, November 11, 2016

Communication Breakdown

    If you haven't guessed by the title above, this article isn't about Led Zeppelin, but a look at some of the ways we can't communicate with each other while we're on the water when something goes wrong. There's nothing worse than not being able to communicate with anyone should something go awry. Here's a prime example:

    A few months ago, I rolled my kayak in the surf at Rocky Point Park in Warwick,RI. I was leading an outing there with our kayak fishing group. I had been here previously in the past and it's been relatively calm for the most part. But, this outing was "doomed" right from the start. I should've exercised better caution and canceled the outing, but the four of us launched anyway - in rough seas and high winds. After about an hour and a half of fighting the incoming tide, I decided it was time to head back in. After not pedaling the Hobie fast enough, and not turning the rudder hard enough, I ended up flipping over the kayak.
    Anyway, during the time I was bobbing in the water next to my kayak, I wondered if anybody else in our group saw me go over. I had my friend's marine radio on me, I remembered that I was the ONLY person smart enough to bring a radio. It would've been a waste to use the radio when no one else has a radio on them that day. I had my safety whistle. But who's going to help me, if they can't hear me?
    I ended up getting my kayak righted and back in the saddle in under 5 minutes - by myself. Another kayak angler in our group came over to help with the recovery of my items that were floating in the water. Fortunately, he was only 100 yards away.

    So, how DO we communicate with each other while out on the water?

    Well, for starters, you could get yourself a good quality floating marine radio. There are many brands on the market and most are reasonably priced, depending on your budget. They will often have decent range of up to a mile or more depending on conditions. A floating marine radio will be sealed with some type of O-ring gasket to help keep the batteries dry and the water out. Some will have up to 10 Weather channels, as well as, an emergency channel (ch.16) - which is monitored by the US Coast Guard. And, trust me, they're listening all the time, and will be there quickly if the situation is serious enough. If the Coast Guard isn't nearby, they will often request that any boaters nearest to that location, to please respond, assist, and monitor that situation until the Coast Guard arrives.
   
    There's plenty of radio chatter of other boaters looking to zero in on where the action's at, maybe looking for other friends in the area, or what's hot for lure & bait combinations.

    Having your marine radio fully charged is also a big factor, too. The last thing you want to happen in an emergency, is your radio's battery failing at the worst moment by not working when you need it the most.
   
    You will also need to keep it close by at all times. My radio, a Standard Horizon HX 290, came with a small cord attached to the clip, which is removable from the radio housing. I have the cord attached to a D-ring hoop inside my life vest, so all I have to do is slide the clip onto the radio, and attach the radio to the inside pocket on the front of my life vest. If it should become un-clipped from my pocket, the small cord will keep it tethered close by.

    If you don't have a marine radio, you should probably stick close by to someone who does. Though, we don't normally use the "buddy system", it probably wouldn't hurt. It would make life a little easier for you both.

    Another choice would be to use your cell phone. But, you better have a good quality dry bag to keep your cell phone dry. It should have some type of "clear window", so you can see who you're talking to and/or texting. If that cell phone comes into contact with saltwater, you'll have an instant hand warmer in a hurry, as saltwater & Ni-Cad rechargeable batteries don't get along together.

    These are just a few tips on what you should have with you while out on the water. Your choice of what brand of radio you want will be based on what you can afford. These are just a few of the popular brands on the market today: Standard Horizon, Cobra, Uniden, and Sitex. Having a floating marine radio with you will mean the difference between having a good time on the water, or just not being prepared for the inevitable.

    As always, keep those lines wet & tight!  - J


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your accident, but I’m glad it all worked out and you were able to get to safety. Communication is sometimes a matter of life or death. At those times, it’s important to know that a reliable method of getting help is available when it becomes necessary. A marine radio is something that every kayak fisher person should have.

    Andrea Wilkins @ Get Away Outdoors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, Yes, I have mentioned that in the past at several meetings. A few of us carry a marine radio. In the future, I'd like to see more people carry one.

    ReplyDelete